This recipe for Summer Bacon Pea Salad is green peas, eggs, cheese, onions, and crispy bacon all tossed together with mayo and sour cream dressing. The perfect side dish to serve at summer gatherings.
Summertime is the perfect excuse to break out some of your family’s best recipes, fire up the grill, and invite friends and family over to enjoy good food and company while the weather is sunny and warm.
Summer Bacon Pea Salad is one of those dishes that brings back fond memories of my childhood. My mom and her relatives would take turns hosting barbecues in their backyards and serving up some of their most excellent comfort foods. Do you have a favorite comfort food?
My husband and I enjoy hosting summer backyard barbecues for our family and friends. It’s the perfect way for us to share a family tradition with our child. Surprisingly, the Summer Bacon Pea Salad is one of my son’s favorite side dishes to eat. He prefers eating it cold just like me.
Sometimes the weather during the summer can be downright miserable especially here in South Louisiana. When I was growing up my cousins and me would jump in the bayou to cool off, now you couldn’t pay to jump in that Alligator infested water. Instead of having the bayou to cool us off, we serve ice-cold beverages and a lot of cold side dishes like the Summer Bacon Pea Salad that is refreshing and helps us beat the summer heat.
Also, we set up a pool for the kids and give them water toys to help them stay cool. Occasionally you might find an adult floating in the kiddie pool or running around chasing the kids with water balloons. Nevertheless, no matter how hot the summer days get we always have a wonderful time with our family reminiscing and eating delicious food! Do you have a family summer tradition?
Have you tasted Pea Salad? I hope you enjoy my Summer Bacon Pea Salad recipe!
Summer Bacon Pea Salad
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1-12oz. bag frozen green peas
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (use potato masher)
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup diced and sauteed onions
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon
- 1/4 cup mayo
- salt & pepper
- Cook peas according to package. Do not overcook. Remove peas from packaging and place into a strainer and carefully let cold water from the faucet lightly run onto the peas for a few minutes.
- Mix the mayo and sour cream together.
- In a medium bowl add the cheese and onions with the sour cream mayo mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently stir in the peas and eggs.
- Crumble bacon on top of the pea salad.
- I used Sargento Sharp Cheese Bites and cut into thirds for the cheese cubes.
Courses lunch or dinner
Kim Seghers is a Mom of three, creator of This Ole Mom blog, a family friendly site. Kim is passionate about sharing her love for cooking, crafting, traveling, family, and everything lifestyle.