This easy recipe for Skillet Chicken Fajitas is slices of chicken breast cooked to perfection and seasoned with seasonings. Then the fajitas are topped with bell peppers and onions that are cooked until tender.
This cast iron fajita recipe is simple to make and tastes great! We find using a variety of spices then a premade fajita mix gives the recipe such a better taste. The fajita recipe is perfect for busy nights when you’re craving Mexican food and don’t have a lot of time to cook a big meal. This meal comes together in minutes, and there’s not a lot of dishes to clean up.
My family loves these easy chicken fajitas and sometimes when we have leftovers my son takes a few fajitas to school. Usually, I’ll warm up the fajitas placing the tortillas in foil and the meat and veggies in a thermos.
How to Make Skillet Chicken Fajitas
First, to make the skillet fajitas you’ll need to slice the bell peppers and cut the onions and set aside.
Second, filet the boneless chicken breast and cut into pieces. Pour the olive oil in the skillet (we used a Lodge Cast Iron Grill Skillet) and place on medium heat. Next, add in the veggies, chicken, and all the seasonings. Stir and cook the ingredients together until the chicken is cooked and have grilled marks, approximately 15 minutes.
Last, drain the excess juice from the skillet. Place the meat and vegetables on tortillas and serve. We hope you love this fajita recipe as much as we do. Leave us a comment below telling us how you like the recipe if you try it.
- Note- please be careful when handling the hot cast iron skillet. We used a Lodge Silicone Hot Handle Handler so we wouldn’t burn our hand.
Toppings for Skillet Chicken Fajitas
If you’re wondering what toppings to use for the chicken fajitas, you can use a variety of different toppings or your favorite. The list provided below gives a few ideas for some fajita toppings.
- Sour Cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Avocado Slices
- Roasted Corn
- Sliced Black Olives
- Diced Tomatoes
- Spanish Rice
- Refried Beans
Also, these fajitas are perfect to make for date night when the kids are spending the night at grandma’s house. Serve my Boozy Margarita Cake Balls and my Dole Whip Margaritas for a complete adult ONLY dinner.Print
This easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas recipe is perfect for busy nights when you’re craving Mexican food and don’t have a lot of time to cook a big feast.
- 2 large, boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 white onion; sliced into rounds
- 1 red onion; sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon d’arbol chili spice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin (more cumin for more flavor)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- tortillas for serving
- Filet chicken breast in half and then cut into slices.
- Cut bell peppers into slices and onions into half rounds.
- Pour olive oil into the skillet and place on 6 (medium heat).
- Add in peppers, onions, and chicken, then add cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, d’arbol spice, pepper, and salt.
- Cook for 15 or so minutes until chicken is cooked.
- Drain excess juice from skillet. Cook chicken until nicely browned and you will see grill marks.
- Place on tortilla and serve! You may add sour cream, cheese, and any other toppings that you like.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: skillet, cast iron, fajitas, chicken, chicken fajitas, dinner, easy recipe, Mexican, tex-mex, Mexican recipe, bell peppers, onions
Kim Seghers is a Mom of three, creator of This Ole Mom blog, a family friendly site. Kim is passionate about sharing her love for cooking, crafting, traveling, family, and everything lifestyle.