Learn how to smoke delicious Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters on a Traeger Grill. The chicken is smoked to perfection and turns out tender and juicy.
Instead of my family going out to eat at Barbecue Restaurants to get our fix for barbecue and smoked meats we cook at home on our smoker.
The Traeger Grill is super easy to use, and we can smoke our favorite recipes on it like these Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters.
When we use our Traeger Grill, it allows us to cook our food without standing over it and feeding the hopper the wood pellets.
Our grill is self-feeding, which means it continuously feeds the pellets.
The wood pellet grill even has an elite digital controller that gives precise temperature control and the heat cooks the food evenly.
We start the grill on smoke with the lid open until the fire is established then set the temperature, arrange the meat on the grill, and close the lid.
Traeger Wood Pellet Grills can be used to cook anything from chicken to pies.
Often when I make Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters, I’ll grill veggie foil packets and a dessert too.
My husband originally bought this wood pellet grill for himself to use, but I slowly took it over.
Maybe I’ll have to make a trip to our local Ace Hardware Store and buy him a grill for his birthday that way we can each have our own.
If we each have a Traeger Grill, we could have cook-offs! Now wouldn’t that be fun!!
Except I know who would win the cook-off for the BEST Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters … of course me!!
My smoked chicken comes out so delicious and juicy. Do you have a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill?
If you don’t have a Traeger Grill, you should consider getting one. It’s perfect for baking, grilling, roasting, braising, and barbecuing making it the ultimate grill for backyard BBQ.
Picture above shows the hopper where the wood pellets go into for my Traeger Bronson 20 Pellet Grill.Print
- 8 leg quarters
- 1 bottle marinade (we used Lawry’s Zatarain’s Cajun)
- Traeger pork & chicken rub
- Apple BBQ Hardwood Pellets
- 1 cup of water or apple juice (we used apple juice)
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Marinade chicken in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (we marinade our chicken overnight)
- Once chicken is marinated, sprinkle both sides with the rub.
- Prepare the Traeger grill on smoke according to directions. Set the temperature to 225 degrees and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Place a small stainless steel pot of water or apple juice in the inside corner to help keep moist.
- Place chicken in grill skin side up with lid closed.
- Smoke for 2 hours or until instant – read meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. ( insert thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, not touching the bone)
- Remove chicken and let rest 5 minutes before serving. (we don’t add barbecue sauce.)
- Category: BBQ
- Cuisine: American