I was selected from Moms Meet to make a recipe or create an original recipe using Wild Blueberries as one of the ingredients. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agree to share my honest opinion. I received a $25 gift card to purchase 1-2 bags of frozen Wild Blueberries and other ingredients needed to create the recipe for this post from the sponsor of the Moms Meet program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC or the manufacturer of this product.
Before I share my original recipe I would like to share a few facts about Wild Blueberries.
Just the facts:
- Wild Blueberries are wildly different from the regular blueberries you normally find in the produce section. They pack more into their tiny blue bodies than any other blueberry on the planet!
- Wild Blueberries have a more intense flavor than regular blueberries. Wild Blueberry plants are more genetically diverse with thousands of interlocking naturally across fields over thousands of years. That diversity is what gives Wild Blueberries their complex and delicious flavor – an extraordinary mix of tart and sweet.
- Wild blueberries have two times the antioxidant capacity of the larger cultivated blueberries. A growing body of research shows the potential health benefits of Wild Blueberries including gut health , diabetes, cancer, and brain health.
- 99% of the Wild Blueberry crop is frozen fresh at harvest, which locks in their nutrition and taste.
- Wild Blueberries are called “Wild” because they are not planted – they have occurred naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada for 10,000 years.
- The retail price for a 15- ounce bag of Wild Blueberries starts at$3.59. A 3- pound bag retails for about $10.
Now that you learned about Wild Blueberries I am sure you will want to make my recipe or your own, using these powerful little blueberries packed with antioxidants.
What you’ll need:
1 1/2 cups frozen Wild Blueberries (not thawed) I used Wyman’s Wild Blueberries
4 – medium Oranges
2 cups Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup Orange Blossom Honey
Mint leaves for garnish
Grape Fruit Spoon
How to make my Wild Blueberry and Orange Smoothie :
Make sure to find Oranges with flat bottoms that will sit straight up. Cut one end off the orange with a knife being careful not to cut yourself.
Using a Grape Fruit spoon remove the inside of the Orange, leaving only the bottom piece inside the Orange. Separate the seeds from the juice and the Oranges you removed from the inside of the Orange. Pour 1 cup of the juice orange mixture into the blender.
Next add yogurt, Honey, frozen Wild Blueberries, and Orange Juice into the blender .
Blend until ingredients is well mixed. Add ice if needed.
Pour some of the smoothies into each of the Orange bowls you made. Then just add a straw, and garnish with Mint Leaves. Enjoy! These smoothies are delicious and good for you. They would make a fun, refreshing Summertime drink. Also, these delicious smoothies would be great for breakfast or snack.
I find the frozen Wild Blueberries taste different then the blueberries you can buy in the produce department at the grocery store. I like the tart and sweet taste of the Wild Blueberries. I also like knowing that the Wild Blueberries are good for me and have more antioxidants than the regular Blueberries. Now that I have learned about these wonderful tasting blueberries, I think I’ll start keeping some in my freezer. There’re many wonderful recipes I could make using the Wild Blueberries! I think you will love these frozen Wild Blueberries. If you would like to know more about Wild Blueberries, go here.
Find out where to buy Wild Blueberries here. You can connect with Wild Blueberries on facebook or twitter . And, connect with Moms Meet here.
For Bloggers Only Recipe Contest:
About the recipes contest. Bloggers, your challenge is to create an original recipe using Wild Blueberries as one of the ingredients. Try to think outside the box of traditional baked goods. Let your imagination run wild! Hurry contest ends May 17, 2015.
Find out more about the contest and how to enter here. The first prize winner will win a Vitamix Blender , value at $329 ! Five runner-ups also will be selected and awarded a $50 Whole Foods Market Gift Card.
UPDATE: My Wild Blueberries and Orange Smoothie was selected as one of the five runner-ups.
P.S. I would love to win the Vitamix Blender. While I was making this smoothie recipe my blender starting smoking and making horrible noises, it was not a pretty site. Now my blender is in Blender Heaven!
This review is strictly based on my opinion. Others may have a different opinion or experience with the product listed. See my disclosure here.
Have a lovely day,