Southern Fried Cabbage With Sausage and Ham is an easy and tasty cabbage recipe that, when served over rice, makes a delicious and hearty meal.
- 2 heads of cabbage medium to large size, rinsed,cored,and sliced
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4″ thick slices
- diced ham, 1 lb.
- Large yellow onion, diced
- Medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- garlic powder, to your liking
- salt, to your liking
- pepper to your, liking
- 2 tbsp. bacon grease
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Optional: Cajun seasoning
- Put bacon grease to a large deep skillet.
Add sliced sausage and cook the sausage on medium heat until it’s lightly browned.
Place diced onions, chopped bell peppers, and the minced garlic in the pot. Cook the veggies until tender.
- Toss in the ham and a little bit of the cabbage at a time. The cabbage will shrink as it cooks, and all the cabbage will eventually fit into the skillet.
- Once the cabbage starts to wilt and get tender add in the butter, stir until the butter melts. Sprinkle in the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Reduce the heat and continue cooking the cabbage on a low simmer 20-30 minutes, until the cabbage reaches the desired consistency. Make sure to stir the cabbage periodically. To keep it from sticking to the pot.
- Sprinkle in some Cajun seasoning and stir.
- If you like serve the cabbage over rice with some cornbread on the side.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
You could add red pepper flakes if you like.
You could use bacon instead of sausage and ham.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: southern cooking, soul food, cabbage, fried cabbage, smothered cabbage, cabbage with sausage, cabbage with ham, easy recipe,