These Shrimp Stuffed Mirlitons is overflowing with shrimp and other mouth-watering ingredients.
- 12 Mirlitons (Chayote Squash)
- 3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 stick butter
- medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- Additional bread crumbs to top each mirliton
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 24 pats butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup Louisiana Shrimp & Crab Boil (liquid)
- salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning
- optional: parsley for garnishing
- Pour water covering the mirlitons. Add the crab boil. Parboil mirlitons until you can pierce mirlitons with a fork.
- Once mirlitons are done place mirlitons in an ice water bath and let set for 15 minutes or until cool.
- Melt 1/2 stick butter in saucepan and cook shrimp until pink and firm, set aside. Season shrimp with cajun season if you want more spice.
- Saute all the vegetables using remaining 1/2 stick of butter until tender, while the mirlitons are in the ice bath. Place vegetables in a glass bowl and set aside.
- Remove mirlitons from ice bath and carefully slice each mirliton lengthwise.Using a teaspoon, remove seeds.
- Gently scoop all pulp (mirliton meat) out of each shell being careful not to tear the shells and place pulp from mirlitons into a medium size pot.
- Place empty shells onto a cookie sheet.
- Cook pulp from mirlitons on medium heat. Use spoon to chop mirliton pulp and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add veggies, shrimp, and all of your seasoning. Stir well.
- Take saucepan from heat stir in 2 1/2 cups of Italian breadcrumbs. Note- add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide mixture into 24 equal portions and stuff into hollowed-out mirliton shells.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining bread crumbs and place on baking sheet and top each mirliton with a pat of butter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: cajun recipe, mirlitons, chayote squash, shrimp, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Louisiana recipe, stuffed mirlitons,