Shrimp Po-Boy is a New Orleans style sandwich piled high with crispy fried shrimp dressed with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and lots of mayo.
- 1 Loaf French Baguette Bread ( cut into six 6 ‘long sandwich pieces or bigger)
- 2 pounds medium Shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Slap Ya Mama Fish Fry (or your favorite)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 5 cups oil for frying, or more (Vegetable or Peanut Oil)
- 1 Large Tomato, sliced
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced Pickles
- Optional – Remoulade Sauce, Hot Sauce, Cajun Seasoning
For Fried Shrimp:
- Thaw, peel, and deveined shrimp.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Make a milk bath with the milk, mustard, and eggs. Whisk together in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the flour and Slap Ya Mama Fish Fry or your favorite fish fry.
- Coat the shrimp in the flour mixture, dip the shrimp in the milk bath, then back into the flour mixture again.
- Place batches of the shrimp into the oil, flipping occasionally. Fry the shrimp 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the shrimp using a slotted spoon, and place them on a wire rack or cookie sheet lined with paper towels. Using a wire rack keeps the shrimp crisper than using paper towels.
For the Po Boy Sandwiches :
- Cut the French Bread into six 6′ long pieces leaving the top and bottom hinged together.
- Slather on your mayo. Add slice tomatoes, lettuce, and pickles. Pile your shrimp on top.
- Sprinkle on your favorite Cajun seasoning, or drizzle on some Remoulade Sauce, or Hot Sauce.
- Press down the top and enjoy!
If you can’t find French Baguette Bread use Hoagie Bread or Pistolet Bread.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Fried Shrimp, Po Boys, New Orleans Style, Sandwich, Cajun