This flavorful homemade Satsuma Jelly recipe makes the perfect sweet and tangy citrus condiment.
- 4 cups Satsuma Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh or bottle
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 box Sure-Jell (1.75 oz.)
- half pint glass jars
- Juice 12 fully-ripe Satsumas by hand using a juicer. Over a bowl use a strainer to separate the juice from the pulp.
- In a large saucepan, add satsuma juice, lemon juice, and Sure-Jell. Stir to mix-in the Sure-Jell. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the sugar to the saucepan. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil that you cannot stir down. Next, boil hard for one-two minutes, stirring continuously, then remove the pot from the heat and skim off any foam.
- Use a ladle, fill hot sterile jars leaving 1/4 headspace. The mixture will be thin; it will thicken as it cools. Remove air bubbles and clean the sides of the jars. Next, place sanitized lids and sanitized rings on the jelly jars. Screw down the lids tightly by hand.
- To process the half-pint jars, place a canning rack in a large deep aluminum stockpot or a canner with simmering water. Use tongs, place the jars of jelly on the canning rack. Water must cover the jars by 1 inch. Adjust the heat to medium-high heat, cover the pot or canner, and bring the water to a rolling boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the jars using tongs. Place the jars on the counter lined with a towel. Let the jars cool for 24 hours. Once the jars are cooled, check the lids for a proper seal by depressing the tops. If the tops don’t move up and down, it’s sealed properly. Make sure to label and write the date on each jar.
- Store jars in a cool dark place. Unopened jars can be stored up to one year. Open jars must be placed in the fridge.
Use sterile jars, lids, and rings.
Oranges could be substituted for the Satsumas.
- Category: Jelly
- Method: Canning
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: jelly, jam, canning, satsumas, orange, mandarin, condiment, mason jars, fresh squeezed, breakfast,