This recipe is one of my favorite recipes to cook with my husband. It’s a delicious dish full of flavor using Louisiana crawfish and soft shell crabs. Our family and friends request this recipe at all our family functions during crawfish season.
You could make this recipe without the Soft Shell Crabs if you wanted. The recipe feeds four people without the Soft Shell Crabs and two people with the crabs unless you double the recipe.
After soaking your soft shell crabs then we move on to the less creepy part of the recipe. I always make my husband do that part above.
Then I fry up the crabs for a tasty topping.
This recipe was highlighted here in print. Have a look!Print
- 2 Fresh Soft Shell Crabs
- 1 lb. Crawfish Tails
- Flour mixture of your choice (we use 1 – 16 oz. bag of Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry)
- Cooking Oil
- 8 oz. Pack of Angel Hair Pasta
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of Mustard
- 2 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper to your liking (we use a little cayenne pepper)
- 3/4 cup of Whipping Cream (plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Green Onions
- 1/2 cup Onions for garnishing
- Clean soft shell crabs (remove the eyes, mouth & lungs) I know it sounds horrible.
- Make a milk bath (from our Ingredient list) using 1/2 cup milk, two tablespoons mustard, and two eggs. Whisk together in a bowl.
- Place Soft Shell Crabs in the Milk Bath then put crabs in the refrigerator.
- Next, boil your pasta, once cooked drained and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the one stick of butter in a pan. Once the butter melts stir in the parsley, green onions, and minced garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes. Stir in the Crawfish tails, cook over low heat for 5 minutes just enough to get the crawfish hot.
- Now go heat up your oil in fryer. While the oil is heating up add 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream to the pan with the crawfish (do not let this boil). Mix 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch to 1 tablespoon whipping cream in a bowl. Add to Crawfish Sauce to thicken, stirring until sauce is warm and thickens. Place a lid on the pot and remove from the burner.
- Next and final stage before plating and eating. Make sure the grease heats to 350 degrees. Get the soft shell crabs out of the fridge. Open the Louisiana Chicken Fry or use flour mixture pour into a bowl.
- Evenly coat both sides of the soft shell crabs with the Louisiana Chicken Fry or Flour Mixture that you have chosen to use. Using tongs take your Soft Shell Crab and hold the legs down into the oil only frying the legs, cooking the crabs one at a time.
- Flip the soft shell crabs over and let it cook in the oil until it floats to the top. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Place some pasta onto each plate and place a soft shell crab on top of the pasta, spoon some of the crawfish sauce over the pasta and crab.
*Optional: garnish with the reminding green onions. You can sprinkle a little Cayenne Pepper over the Soft Shell Crab dish before serving if you want.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Cajun
Kim Seghers is a Mom of three, creator of This Ole Mom blog, a family friendly site. Kim is passionate about sharing her love for cooking, crafting, traveling, family, and everything lifestyle.