This delicious and flavorful Eggnog Cake with Cranberry Orange Filling is the perfect festive dessert to serve at any holiday gathering.
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- flour and shortening to grease and flour cake pans
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- zest of 1 large navel orange
- 3/4 cup of fresh orange juice with pulp
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
To make cake:
1. Grease and flour 2 9-inch layer cake pans
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3. Put cake ingredients into electric mixer and beat on low until ingredients are mixed – about 1 minute
4. Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl and beaters. Continue mixing on medium speed for about 2 minutes
5. Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake according to cake box directions (approximately 22-28 minutes depending on your oven)
6. Bake until cake is done – when inserted toothpick comes out clean
7. Put pans on wire cooling rack and let cool thoroughly.
8. When cake layers are fully cool, remove the first layer and put on cake plate. Spread Cranberry-Orange filling over this layer before adding the top layer.
9. Do not put filling on top layer, instead ice the cake with frosting and pour some leftover filling over the top of the frosting.
To make filling:
- Place the cranberries, zest, and orange juice into a blender and puree.
- Melt the butter over medium heat a medium-sized saucepan and add the sugar, corn syrup and molasses while stirring.
- Add the allspice to this mixture and pour in the cranberry orange puree. Heat this mixture while stirring constantly and boil it down until its volume is reduced by half. At this point, you will have a thick sauce that you can drizzle over the cake.
To make icing:
1. Cream butter and cream cheese together in electric mixer until smooth
2. Add sugar and spices to mixture and beat on low
3. Add heavy cream and continue to beat on low speed till thoroughly mixed. Add just a bit more heavy cream if needed – but be careful – it’s easy to get too much!
4. Start by frosting the top of the cake first then put frosting on the sides. Using short light strokes gives a better finish.
Add any leftover Cranberry-Orange filing to the top of the frosting as you desire or top with whole cranberries.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: eggnog, cranberry, cream cheese, cranberry orange filling, dessert, eggnog cake, Christmas, festive, cake, holiday party,