- 1.5 cups dates
- 1.25 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons warm water, if needed
- 5 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons shredded coconut for mixing
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut for rolling
- Place the dates in a bowl of warm water for twenty minutes to soften (this makes them easier to blend!). While they’re soaking, grind the walnuts in a food processor. Leave a few chunks for texture. Add the dates to a food processor and blend until mostly combined (but still a few walnut chunks). Add the water slowly (if needed) to keep blending. You may need to pause and scrape down the sides. The mixture will be very sticky. Scrape the mixture into a bowl.
- Add in the cacao, first bit of coconut and maple syrup. Mix with a fork until everything is combined and “wet looking”. The mixture will be back to being very sticky. Prepare for rolling: grab a large plate or cutting board and line with parchment paper. Pour the rest of the shredded coconut onto another plate. Grab the coconut oil and place a dollop on the edge f the parchment paper or in a bowl.
- Now it’s time to get messy. Grease your hands with a bit of coconut oil, grab some of the date mixture and roll it into a ball (about one inch in diameter). The coconut oil helps it from sticking to your hands. Once rolled, place the ball into the plate of coconut and sprinkle/roll it all about pressing down to make sure it sticks. Place the coconut covered ball onto the parchment paper. Do this until you’re out of mixture (makes 18-20 balls). Place the balls into the freezer to set for thirty minutes. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge to munch on and for quick grab and go snacks!
Note: dates don’t freeze completely so you can pop these tasty bites into your mouth right out of the freezer!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American