There’s nothing more perfect for a Star Wars Chewbacca fan than a Chewbacca Disney Countdown to keep track of the days until they leave for their Disney vacation. That’s the reason I made this fun countdown for my son to keep track of the days we have left before we go on our Walt Disney World trip this summer.
When my eight-year son continuously kept asking if it was time for us to leave for our Walt Disney World vacation I knew I had to make something for him to keep track of the days or he would drive me insane until the day it was time for us to leave. I decided to turn to Pinterest the one place I knew that had millions of crafty ideas for the average crafter like myself to find something awesome to replicate.
Hours of pouring through many pages on Pinterest only resulted in tons of Mickey and Minnie Mouse countdowns which my son most likely would love, though his obsession lately has been with that big fuzzball Chewbacca. Knowing and how much my son loves Chewbacca and that he’s anxiously waiting for the arrival of the new Star Wars movie, Solo to come out in Theaters, I knew I wanted to surprise him with a Chewbacca Disney Countdown.
Surprisingly, I couldn’t find a Chewbacca or anything on the internet remotely close to what I had pictured in my head to make for my son. That’s when I decided to go to Hobby Lobby for some inspiration. After I arrived at the craft store and started walking down the aisles ideas began to pop up in my head. A few hours browsing the store I left armed with an arsenal of craft supplies to make my son his very own Chewbacca Disney Countdown.
I’m amazed by how cute the countdown turned out especially since I was winging this craft the entire time I was making it. Some of the steps are missing in my photos. Hopefully, you’ll be able to replicate my countdown with the instructions listed below. This craft is for adults and older children 12 and up. Younger kids could stick the white squares onto Chewy’s utility belt aka bandoleer.
Instructions to make Chewbacca Disney Countdown
- 4- 11″ x 14″ white poster boards (usually comes in a pack of 5)
- 4 sheets of 9″ x 12″ Brown Long Pile Craft Fur (found mine at Hobby Lobby)
- glue gun and glue sticks
- 1- sheet black felt
- 1-sheet white felt
- 1 large sheet brown foam
- twine (could use ribbon or cord)
- white paint (could use white a marker or liquid corrector fluid)
- 1 pack foam mounting squares ( double sticky sided (dual adhesive) – found at the Dollar Tree)
- chopstick or wooden dowel to use to hang up Chewbacca
- pencil and black marker
*Note – You could use my drawings as a guide to freehand draw Chewbacca’s body. All of my drawings (templates) are drawn on a 11×14 poster board. Sorry, they aren’t the best!!
1.Draw and cut out Chewbacca’s head.
2. Draw and cut out Chewbacca’s body. I forgot to take a photo before cutting it out.
3. Draw and cut out the right arm. Flip right arm over and use another poster board and trace the arm, then cut out. This will be your left arm. Make sure to mark each arm.
4. Draw Chewbacca’s legs. Draw the lines all the way up each side. Cut out the body/ legs. Draw the curve line to make the stomach.
5. On a flat work surface, place a sheet of fur facing down. Take the cutout poster board head and trace it onto the back of the fur, making sure Chewbacca’s chin is at the bottom of the sheet where the fur hangs.
Flip the fur over and carefully glue the cutout furry head onto the white cut out head. Start from the top of the head and work downwards. Use the black felt to make eyes and nose and glue onto the face. Use the white felt and make the mouth/teeth. Use a white paint marker to make the pupils on the eyes.
6. Trace the stomach/body onto the fur with furry side facing down. Lay the head and arms onto Chewy the way I did in the photo above. Trace around the bottom of Chewy’s chin and the bottom of his arms and cut out. Trim where needed. Glue the furry body down onto the white poster board body.
7. Cut out the furry arms and glue onto the white poster board arms, leaving a little bit of the fur not glued towards the end. Draw two hearts for hands-on poster board. Trace onto the fur with the furry side down. Glue hairy hands onto poster board hands and attach to the bottom of the arm with glue.
8. Glue the arms on like shown in the above picture. Glue on Chewbacca’s head to the poster board, make sure his chin hair is overlapping the top of the neck area.
9. Trace out the legs onto the fur with furry side facing down. Glue legs onto the poster board legs with furry side facing up, as shown in the above photo. Put glue on the rest of the poster board above the waist area and attach it behind the body. It should be glued to the poster board not the fur. The belly fur should hang over Chewbacca’s waistline.
10. Next using the brown foam cut a diagonal strip from the right shoulder to Chewbacca’s left hip. See photo above. Adhere with glue. (*Hint– use a ruler for a straight edge.)
11. Cut 10 foam squares in half and stick onto Chewbacca’s utility belt aka long foam strip. See photo above. (Shiny side up.)
12. Glue a piece of twine, ribbon, or cord down the center of the brown foam between the white foam pieces. See above photo.
13. Using a piece of the brown foam draw a long oval shape. Next, draw a small upside down triangle. Glue the upside triangle to the long oval at the top and put a dot on the triangle. This oval will become Chewbacca’s pouch. Attach Chewbacca’s bag to the utility belt with twine. Write any saying you would like to use for your Disney countdown. I chose the saying shown in the photo above because Chewbacca is my son’s favorite Wookie.
14. Stick two foam squares shiny side up this will be where you write and keep track of the days you have left until your Disney vacation. Make sure to use a dry erase marker. See photo above.
15. Next, glue a piece of wooden dowel or chopstick to the back of Chewbacca’s head and use twine to hang up your Chewbacca Disney Countdown.
Isn’t this countdown awesome? It’s the perfect Chewbacca countdown for any Star Wars fan whether you’re going to Walt Disney World or Disneyland. I think Chewbacca would approve!!